Wednesday, May 8, 2013

His 'once in a lifetime'


I must be quick, I have a little due who I am pretty sure is in a growth spurt or else I have become an expert mum at wearing him out who is napping again today. Perfect opportunity for me blog! You never realize the value of things until you dont have them anymore hey.

So Boxing day, we were staying up in Tin Can Bay and that morning we were to be somewhere fun by 7:30 am we will say. I dont remember now I just remember it was something like that. We packed our day's bags since it was a bit of drive and showed up for Lindsay's Christmas present..................

SKYDIVING!

Yep I was that cool wife this last Christmas, don't hate me because I only come up and do stuff like this about never, so sorry Lindsay I can't say I will be able to come up with something as equally cool ever again.  I had come across a great deal on one of those groupon sites and thought, 1-I never can think of cool things to give him 2- He has always wanted to skydive (even almost went when we were dating) and doing it in Australia would make it that much more cool especially because with this company you land on the beautiful beach.

So random side note. My family know I have a hard time keeping fun secrets like this from Lindsay because I get so excited about them and he only likes surprises when he can know what it is as soon as he finds out about it. Well my friends I failed again, Partially because I needed to let him know about the weight requirements and make -ahem- any adjustments as needed and partially because he is so darn smart and partially because I wanted to book it, but with his schedule being so wacky I needed his help. I let him know about the weight restriction shortly after I bought it s he would have the time needed to lose a few kilos. As soon as I said what the limit was he automatically guessed it because he had already researched it I guess since we have lived here. I played it cool for a while and thought I had him a bit deterred.He hounded me a bit, but then left it alone, then I needed to book it and I just couldnt contain it any longer and I knew we would need to get accomodation since it was a good 3 plus hour car ride and he would dive in the morning, so I spilled the beans and we  planned the mini holiday as a family.
 Back to showing up at 7:30. WE walk in and tell them we were there for the scheduled dive and they tell us we were 30 minutes late, my heart dropped, I had remembered the wrong time. There are no refunds....great. Luckily these guys are cool and they say "well it's been too windy this morning anyways and we couldn't have left yet anyways. phew. Then they see Lindsay and ask how much he ways (mind you he has been starving himself the whole week of Christmas and hadnt eaten anything for a good 12 hours prior to this. He responds and they say, 'it will be close lets put you on the scales........dun dun dun.....300 grams OVER....my heart sinks again. So now we have come late, and he is over the weight limit. Do they let him fly-why yes because they rock. They say that because he is a fit guy it will be ok. They worry about weight for the landing because you have to hold up your legs and land on your bum, you can seriously injure yourself if you are too heavy or out of shape. So On we go. They let Erik and I tag along (with Erik's new toy plane too) to watch it all. We get bussed out to the plane. Erik has his first experience in the pilots seat of a small plane-he has done this before on the big jets but not a cesna.
 He is in absolute heaven! We watch them taxi down the grass strip and take off...

 the real pilot
 the instructor that Lin will fly tandem with.
 On your markey's
 get your car keys
 GO!









 Safe at last! He was able to do a 60 second freefall before the big chute came out and enjoyed the view on the way to the big 'x' on the beach where we excitedly waited for him.
Both of my men were in heaven that morning and thus I was also. I am glad I didnt have to skydive, it doesn't appeal to me in the least and I am happy I could make my man's dream come true while fueling my little man's passion for planes. It was summing up to be one spectacular Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment