Monday, October 29, 2012

I never Knew

 So as I have been learning so much about myself and I think we are usually always trying to improve ourselves right? Well I have been trying to figure something that I can do for myself that feels good, I can do easily (as in not have to work too hard to find a sitter or change my everyday routine so much) while Mr. Moon is out of town, and I think I found a new found love of mine. Sewing! I know for practical purposes it is way cheaper these days to buy premade things as opposed to sew them on your own.
 But there is just something about creating things of practical purpose with my hands that gives a huge sense of confidence, a boost of accomplishment, and in all honestness a bit of pride that I am carrying on a long standing traditional hobby of women. I feel like with all the feminist movements a lot of traditional things have been looked down upon and demeaned, but I have a lot of admiration for the hard work and long hours it takes to do these domestic and homemaking skills. I feel like I am paying tribute to the women before me and helping to keep some traditions alive.

And really sewing is something I have always wanted to learn how to do better and have that skill. So recently I decided that I was just going to apply myself and not wait any longer to learn. So I put all I knew to practice and looked up a few things online and voila- I made a super cute lightweight quilt for this summer. The nights here in the summer dont cool off, you just have the sun blaring and so really you dont want any covers, and yet if you are like me-you still want something. So I bought fabric I thought was cute and made a very very simple top, cut up a stained piece of old duvet cover and then used the top sheet from our bed set (we dont use the top sheets) as the back and binding. Its far from perfect but its enough to feel like you have cover and yet still really cool. I love it! And have started using in the last couple weeks as temps have risen. This last week it was 94 F one day.....NOooo, not ready yet, that means high humidity is right behind. BUt that does mean many more beach and swimming days!
 Ej was not thrilled for me to take his picture on this day, but I also attempted and accomplished sewing him some shorts. I let him pick out the fabric and they are meant to be pajama shorts but he has worn them both day and night.
I am excited because this takes very little fabric and he is in need of summer pjs this season and so I can just make him up a few pairs and buy matching plain t-shirts and call it good to go. Even though I am a novice and make lots of mistakes, I feel on top of the world after a successful project. So I am going to continue to work on improving myskills and I cant wait to see where this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment