Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A bit of Patriotism and some sealife

It was such a nice experience spending part of our time on base. This trip was a bit stressful for me in way of accommodation. Reservations got all confused and Erik and I kind of bounced around between off base and on base for a bit, even staying at one of Lin's nice and kind classmate's home for a couple nights. But staying on base and having down time with Erik allowed us to talk to him more about our country and some of our history. One day Lindsay took us into the PACAF headquarters. We had showed him pock marks while driving from the attack on pearl harbor. But at this building he could walk up to them and touch them.
 It was humbling for me and nice to speak openly as a family about such a large and historic even that had affected so many things. At this point in the trip we had already seen a lot of the Pearly Harbor museum which he absorbed completely and fully. He had many pertinent questions that were beyond his years and he really seemed to grasp some things. It was great.



 THat was another favorite  moment for me. There were so many, but that one was almost spiritual.

One weekend while I took the morning to get pampered, Lindsay and Erik and some of Lindsay's classmates went hiking. I was sad that they went without me, but truly enjoyed getting myself a little bit of girly time. Erik loved riding in Jones' jeep with the top off. He was such a cool cat.



 And then one day while there was no family in town and Lin was in class I took Erik into Waikiki and we went to the aquarium. It was a fun little get away. Especially for the $5 admission with a military discount. I loved how many military discounts there were there! It was so amazing, and I forgot how many businesses support the Armed Forces in that way.
 Erik's favorite part was holding this little hermit crab.


No comments:

Post a Comment