Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mock 2012 Olympics

Back in July around the time that the Olympics started a friend of mine asked if EJ and I would want to join her and her kids for an olympic themed play date at a park. We said "oh Yeah." So she mostly got it all organized and we had a great day. We were trying to dress the kids in our home countrie's attire (They are from Canada) and her kids were dressed accordingly with shirts and some face paint. I realized EJ no longer has any american tees or anything that fit him and so he made do with his blue pants, red bandana and blue sunnies. It was chilly that day and so he wore a jumper for about half the day (too bad the colors werent right-oh well).

We started off with opening ceremonies and Jody did awesome creating torches for the kids to start out with!

 First up were some track and field events. Kids at the start line prepared to race. We used streamers held across the finish line so they could run through a ribbon!
 Preparing for the hurdles (boxes of cereal on their side). I love how they were all trying to do a starting position!
 Long jump was next. The kids loved the running races but didn't quite show as much interest in the long jump nor did they quite understand how to do it-so that makes sense. I think the longest jump was maybe a foot.
 Next up shooting. I brought our nerf shot gun and some small nerf pistols. We used blocks built up a bit as targets and the kids loved this. They had a bit of hard time getting how to load the guns and if I remember right the shot gun wasnt quite working properly....but still mighty fun!

Miss A with the big gun!
 M takes a turn with the pistol with help from mom.
 EJ took his turn very seriously. He was very focused on the task at hand....

 And after a few failed attempts he decided his best bet for hitting the targets was to get real close to knock over the blocks. I say good on ya mate-for being so clever :)
 Fencing with wrapping paper tubes was next.
 And sometimes if you get the right spot they kind of tickle!
 The sisters duke it out!
 And then they ganged up on Jody! It was quite funny! Jody has another little one that was home that morning with daddy and I am sure if she was there she would have been in on the action. She stayed home because she is old enough to toddle around but young enough to disrupt. I am sure she enjoyed getting some quality alone time with her daddy though!
 Last event was the discus with a lid from a tin container. This one was fun to watch as the kids all had their own versions of throwing the thing and there was more than once that Jody and I had to duck or catch it before it hit our faces or heads.
 And the closing ceremonies where they all received their medals.
 Wahoo!

I had one of the older kids take this photo of us hence the slightly off kilter image. But I think they did a pretty good job! We had a ton of fun and I am so glad that we have friends here to do these kinds of things with. Jody and I were running together for a while last year before the holidays and crazy humid heat striked for the summer. Unfortunately life happened and we didnt pick it up again but we try to get together with the kids. She and I are the only ones that live on our side of the river-the one that seperates the city and we have fun together. She has taught me many a things about motherhood and is someone I really admire. I wish I had as many little ones as she does but I give loves to hers all the same. Her youngest was born just after we moved here and so its been fun seeing her go through all the stages, and she is a mommy's girl but I have finally gotten her to start coming to me which has been lots of fun!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You guys are such good moms! Those kids were probably loving every second of it too. Way to make the Olympics come alive for the kids, so fun!

    ReplyDelete